Day 1 - Travel & Arrival


Here I am at Dog Guides Canada getting ready to get my second guide dog.  It is hard to explain how excited I am. When I came here to get my first dog, I think I was really wondering if this whole guide dog thing would work out and wondering what it was going to be like.  Then I met Bogart and never looked back.  He was an awesome guide dog and became my best buddy in no time.  This time around I’m confident in my dog handling skills and just very excited about meeting my new partner.  

 I had a 7:30 am flight from Vancouver to Toronto, where I was met by staff from Dog Guides Canada.  A 40-minute drive and we arrived at the school.  As one might imagine, so many memories of my first time here and of Bogart are bubbling around in my head.  It seems like it all happened just last year, not seven years ago!  (I guess I'm starting to experience time like a dog---seven to one!)   On the way in I stopped and paid for the red school hoodie I ordered.  I'm happy to say it’s currently looking like I won’t need it much here, and those t-shirts and shorts I brought are going to be well used. 

Then it's off to my room, #203.  The rooms at this school are big and roomy, furnished with a bed, a chair, a desk equipped with a computer with accessibility technology, a TV on a dresser, two big closets and a roomy washroom. In the corner is a large dog kennel which, as of tomorrow night, will be the home of my next best buddy.  I got unpacked, fought with my computer to get hooked up to the free wireless and then it was time to head down for supper (5 pm each day). Today it was Caesar salad and vegetarian lasagna. Good stuff! 

I met one of my classmates on the way down who is already working with her 4th dog!

Then I had a big surprise.  I was introduced to the person to my right at dinner. 

“Hello Bill," I say, "Where are you from?”
  
He responds that he is from Vancouver.   Vancouver!  My brain immediately starts analyzing his voice. Could it be?

“Are you Bill D.?” 

“Yes, are you Gary Steeves?”  

I know Bill.  What a coincidence!  We’ve talked over the years as his sight has decreased.  His black lab Ziegler caught the excitement and was quick to lick my hand in greeting.  After that Bill was constantly having to get Ziegler to sit and lie down.  I realized I was enjoying the one and only supper here where I won’t be multitasking with an energetic dog. J  

After supper I met with Greg, one of the trainers for our class, and signed all the necessary forms. He told me that they’d bring me my dog after the 9 am meeting tomorrow.  I still don't know his name, only that he is a black poodle.  I can't wait to meet him.  Greg expects we'll get out in harness already tomorrow afternoon.  Jumping right in!

Now Bill, Duncan and I are heading off to a little pub called Moonshine about 2 blocks away, to have a drink and check out the band.  I’m glad I’m going out for a glass of wine since I think I’ll need a bit of help getting to sleep tonight.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 14 - September 28

Day 15 - September 29

Day 5 - September 19